The Jedi Reviews - Batman: Arkham City

Written By Lingkar Dunia on Monday, December 12, 2011 | 5:11 AM


















I thought I was stealth in Metal Gear Solid 3. I was wrong. So wrong. That wasn't stealth. That was..... errrr.... being unseen! Batman taught me what being stealth was all about - a grappling gun and smoke bombs made all the difference. By a mile.

I never played Batman : Arkham Asylum because my P
C was shit back then. So considering I just upgraded my rig a month ago - obviously I wont give this game a miss!

Australia's and UK's Official Playstation Magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly and Game Informer gave it a 10/10. IGN gave it a 9.5/10 - so how is it, really?
















Spec requirements - I wont get too much into details here but one thing for sure - get lots of RAM, minimum 2GB and a minimum of 512MB on your graphics card. I'm running on a 1GB card and still get jerky bits during the video. Maybe my processor? Graphics are smooth throughout the game though.

So you probably know what the game is all about by now - Arkham Asylum is no more with super villains out, roaming the streets of Gotham. SO Gotham City cordoned off an area; hence Arkham City where thugs and villains control and rule the street. Still, it's every villain for themselves and every villain in the Bat universe you can think of, has their own agenda. Each have their own army, added with the Tyger guards, paid to 'keep the place in check' by their boss, Hugo Strange.

The game starts with Bats trying to figure out what Strange's plan - Protocol 10 is all about. From then on, you, as Bats will be taken for a ride, with The Joker, Two-Face, Mr Freeze and The Penguin all trying to kill you, and a twist in the storyline will see you fighting against time to save an unlikely person's life.

The gameplay isn't linear like a certain ModernWarfare3, meaning you can divert from your main objective to undertake mini-missions peppered around the city. You'll jump, scale up walls, use your grappling gun to do a Spidey up observation areas and best of all - glide with your cape.

You'll also get to play as Catwoman in several short Catwoman-centric stages allowing you to experiment different approaches to a combat with her whip and caltrops.
















Rrrrraaawwwwrrrrr. Bad kitty.

Controls are a combination of WASD keyboard combos and lots of left-right click combinations on the mouse. Panning around is done via mouse movement and to solve riddles and to do some detective work, hit X and you'll get into 'Detective Mode' - something akin to the sonar view Batman had in The Dark Knight to help you search for clues - like the source of a gunshot, for example.

The Detective Mode is also helpful in creeping up to thugs, with its ability to detect heat signals behind doors and weak points in walls and cracks on the floor for Batman-style infiltration. So you can jump onto a group of The Joker's juggalo-like possee #likeAbawse or pick them out one at a time #likeBatman - it's your call. Considering I aced in MGS3, well, I picked the latter mostly.
















Bats beating the crap out of a Joker goon - a freakishly lookin juggalo.

Characters!

Trivia time! Did you know? This guy .....
















is voiced by a certain Mark Hamill? Yep. Luke Skywalker.


























Ok. that pic was taken eons ago. Still, brilliant performance by Mark, and try to spot the part where The Joker talks about LOST. Heheheh. Easter Egg!

Voice-acting is superb with almost accurate lip movements, and my favorite villain character has gotta be Harley Quinn who oddly, reminds me of Avril Lavigne. Nice corsets too!
















Juggalos aren't necessarily scary.

Riddles are fun to solve, and the fighting scenes reward those who like to vary their hits with movement combinations and counter-hits. So here's a tip - if you think there's too many people swarming you at once - you probably did a stupid move.

So is Batman: Arkham City worth splashing RM135+ this month? You bet. I played quite a bit and upon checking my progress bar, friggin only 3% completed! Maybe I'm a slow player, as I tend to wander around Arkham City - checking out stuff. But that's the way I like to play my game. What about you?

Not sold yet? Here are a few more pics to bait you.
















The Joker with his main man...err...clown, the one-armed clown wielding a war hammer.....
















Harley Quinn's first appearance in the game..... sold yet?















I know you're sold ;p

Ok. Here's the trailer for the game. Enjoy.


"There's plenty wrong with me...!"


0 comments:

Post a Comment