Novak Djokovic - I Can't Be Mates With Other Players

Written By Lingkar Dunia on Saturday, May 21, 2011 | 2:55 PM

Novak Djokovic had an unexpected companion for lunch here last week. An impeccably groomed snow-white toy poodle snuggled alongside him on a cushioned seat at a pavement table.

'This is Pierre,' said Djokovic, courteously. Clearly, he blends perfectly into his adopted home in Monaco which he shares with girlfriend Jelena Ristic. 
Winning streak: Novak Djokovic hopes to maintain his good form and become the world No.1
Winning streak: Novak Djokovic hopes to maintain his good form and become the world No.1

Even so, the sight of Djokovic surreptitiously smuggling his pet a titbit of noodles is hard to reconcile with his image as a rugged, 6ft 2in athlete who, through strength, skill and unshakeable confidence has taken the game of tennis hostage this year.

Djokovic will celebrate his 24th birthday today as the most feared player in the game and the man most likely to inflict yet more pain on Rafael Nadal over the next fortnight at the tournament that has been the Spaniard's tennis fiefdom for five of the past six years.

Djokovic prefers to play down speculation over his chances at the French Open, in Paris, insisting: 'I don't want to be unnaturally modest, but Rafa deserves to be favourite. He's lost only one match at Roland Garros; and he's the most successful player ever to play this game on clay.'

Yet Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray have lived for the past four months in the shadow of Djokovic since he defeated the British No 1 in the final of the Australian Open in January to put in motion a run of 37 consecutive victories.
Old pals act: Djokovic (left) and Andy Murray are the best of friends off court
Old pals act: Djokovic (left) and Andy Murray are the best of friends off court

'Of course, I'm aware these results are rating me in front of Nadal, but I'd disagree with that,' said Djokovic. 'After all, he's beaten me twice at Roland Garros.'

But Nadal can testify that Djokovic has improved his game beyond recognition to overtake Federer as the most potent threat to the Spaniard's place at the summit of the sport, having been victorious at seven tournaments in Melbourne, Dubai, Indian Wells (California), Miami, Belgrade, Madrid and Rome.

Last Sunday in Rome, Djokovic did not get to bed until 4am before returning to the court to play Nadal just 14 hours later, having been stretched to the limit of his resources by Murray in an epic semi-final.

After two brutal sets, Nadal looked a haunted man as Djokovic claimed his fourth victory over him this year; should the Serb win the French Open he will replace the Spaniard as the world No 1.
Joker in the pack: Djokovic 
 Joker in the pack: Djokovic plays the fool
Jokers in the pack: Djokovic and Nadal
 Poses with big mate Rafael Nadal (right) in a Colombian hat

Yet, rather than sound triumphal, Djokovic presents his achievements over the past months in the context of the dominance Federer and Nadal have enjoyed over the previous seven years.


'I have only nice words to say about Rafa,' said Djokovic. 'He always wants to improve and you never see him disrespect another player.

'And Roger, well, his results say everything. With 16 Grand Slam titles, he's the most successful player ever. He may lose a little more often, but everything can change in the next month if he wins in Paris and at Wimbledon.

'But it's good for the sport to see myself and Murray challenging them. I think Roger, Rafa, Andy and myself have a very civil relationship, with a great respect for one another.
Veteran ace: Roger Federer's titles speak for themselves, insists Djokovic
Veteran ace: Roger Federer's titles speak for themselves, insists Djokovic

'Sometimes, I have dinner with Andy or Rafa; but the reality is none of us can be real mates while we are fighting for history. But one day, when we've all retired, I look forward to sitting down over a beer with them all, and their families, and remember what we went through.'

Murray was among the first to text a congratulatory message to Djokovic last Sunday.
'It was good of Andy to send me a message. I wished him a happy birthday in return,' he revealed. 'If the match had gone past midnight and become his birthday, who knows, but Andy would probably have won!' 
Love match: Girlfriend Jelena Ristic is keen to keep out of the limelight
Love match: Girlfriend Jelena Ristic is keen to keep out of the limelight

Their rivalry is already a dozen years old, having trailed one another across Europe in junior tournaments in the age group one year beneath Nadal.

'In our first match, aged 12, Andy destroyed me,' he said, with a laugh at the memory.
'Even then, we all knew that Nadal was winning everything he played. He was a wunderkind.'

For Murray, this summer is a road to redemption after he took an undue amount of time to recover from the defeat by Djokovic on that January night in Melbourne which sent them in different directions.

Djokovic empathises with the slump Murray endured.

'After I took the first set in Australia, Andy's focus and energy level dropped,' he recalled. 'You can sense these things. But I know he has the ability to win a Grand Slam, he's a great talent.

'So much of this game is in the mind. I sympathise with what happened to Andy this year. When I lost to Nadal in Madrid in 2009, after an incredible three-set match lasting almost four-and-a-half hours, I lost my self-belief.

'You have to work back, step by step, that's why this sport is so demanding mentally. I think Andy looked good again in the way he played me in Rome.'

Djokovic has travelled a rough road, from a childhood spent in Serbia's most troubled recent past, then in exile at a tennis academy in Germany, to arrive at a point where his life is as perfect as his tennis results.

Djokovic admits his contentment has been hard won. 'I've had my ups and downs in my private life,' he said.

'Over the last three or four years, I have been through good times and bad times. This affected my professional life, it's all connected. It's different for me now. I have grown up. I can handle myself, it's a natural process.

'Mostly the problems when I was down were caused by myself. There were times when I was not responsible enough or decisive enough. But you learn. I'm a happy man, because I am successful in what I do, of course; but what makes me most happy is I have people around me that I love and who love me back. This, for me, is the most important thing. Nobody likes to be alone.' 
Looking ahead: Djokovic relishing a return to London to play at Queen's Club
Looking ahead: Djokovic relishing a return to London to play at Queen's Club

His five-year romance with his girlfriend, although she is rarely seen at tournaments, is also fundamental to the mindset that has enabled him continually to rout Nadal and to beat Federer on three occasions this year.

'For a while, it was hard for Jelena and me to maintain this relationship, we had problems like every couple, but we have been together all the way through,' he said.

'We have love and our emotional stability has much to do with my success. She's busy with her own ambitions and studying for her masters degree in Monaco, but she will be with me at Wimbledon.'

In years past, Djokovic has been known for his shrewd tennis impersonations of rivals such as Nadal and Andy Roddick, as well as the world's most glamorous woman player, Maria Sharapova.

'Joking around is part of my personality, just who I am,' he said. 'I have been impersonating players since I was seven years old! I like to make people laugh, to bring joy. I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and I don't think I did, but no one had to tell me it was time to cut back. I know everything has its limits.'
Crowd pleaser: Djokovic mixes music for spectators during an exhibition match at the French Open
Crowd pleaser: Djokovic mixes music for spectators during an exhibition match at the French Open

Now the young Serb's fame is spreading beyond the tennis court. Last week, the racket he used to defeat Nadal in Rome was auctioned for �28,000 (�24,500) after he had modelled a designer suit on the catwalk at a fund-�raising fashion show organised by Naomi Campbell at the Cannes Film Festival.

Djokovic's schedule carries him from Paris to the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club, in west London, from June 6-12, a cherished week in his calendar as part of his preparations for Wimbledon.

'I love playing Queen's, it's a beautiful tournament at a club with such history and tradition,' he said, shaking hands and scooping up Pierre to walk home to his apartment with its views over the Mediterranean.

It is a world away from the one where he learned to play the game he now rules.
'Hopefully, I will fulfil my lifetime ambition to be world No 1,' he said.

Whether he achieves that in Paris or at a later date, his role in a fashion show to raise money for victims of the Japanese earthquake was well-merited; at present there is no better model professional than Novak Djokovic.  
Courtesy: Daily Mail

0 comments:

Post a Comment